Skip to main content

Rainy morning in Langley

Well a quick post on a rainy Saturday morning in Langley, British Columbia.  I am here for the Canadian Volkssport Federation AGM and convention,.  Yes that's why I had to come back from England...I am finishing my stint on the Board of Directors so had to be here.  Otherwise I'd still be in London trust me...I would have flown over late March and come back mid June so I could see the Trooping of the Colour. (still sits on the bucket list..) But let's not go there...

Langley is a town near Vancouver - well more like a suburb now as you never leave the urban sprawl.  I took a Sky train and then another sky train and then a bus to get here on Thursday morning. 

Since then I've been attending meetings and did manage to get a 5 km walk in yesterday.  I started out walking on Thursday evening but decided to try poles to see if it helped my knees. Well!   We pissed around taking photos, etc. and then started and our leader said "let's step it up" and was ahead of me and I knew...I said right then and there "nope this isn't for me".  I didn't realize the group was for poles only and originally thought it was for the slow pokes.  Anyway I handed back the poles and was in a bit of a strop and thought "right! I'm going for some wine"!  So I finally found my way to the Save On foods (just Safeway in another colour) and got myself a healthy spinach salad (my body said THANK YOU MAMA!), some fruit AND some local B.C. wine.  Went back to my room and had a glass...just a glass mind...Eilleen and I finished the bottle up last night after the meet and greet. 

I did enjoy the walk yesterday which I did on my own. It POURED in the morning but we watched it from the window of our meeting room and as you can see by the time I got out there the sun was shining. (on and off)  Here are a few photos from the flight here and the walk:





I loved the beautiful wooden sculptures in downtown Langley.





The instructions said turn right at the duck pond...this clued me in where it was pretty quickly.




I wish I could bottle the smell of the trees and take it home with me...



The Michaud House which is one of the original farm houses in the area.



This was my favourite.

So there is a group walk this morning...in the rain..fun times....if it is pouring yours truly will not be doing it! and then I will help stamp books with another meeting this afternoon.  The big banquet is tonight.   Then tomorrow morning another walk, I will stamp again and then off I boogy to downtown Vancouver where I will be staying at the Y hotel until Thursday morning.  I've stayed there quite a few times and really like it.  I've decided to explore different areas of Vancouver this time and do different walks than I have done before.  Should be interesting!  The rain is supposed to only be for today.  Here's hoping...

Of course I am suffering from jet lag and so am awake early in the a.m. and ready to crash by 9 p.m.  Just call me Ms Party Pooper!  More chatter coming up once I hit Vancouver. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more