Skip to main content

Buzzing around the North Highlands

Yes it's been busy and by the end of the day I am too tired to put the words together - just doing my (mostly) daily backup of photos is enough for me to do.  I do try to update on Facebook but that's about it.  And I feel so guilty as I know some people check daily.  I've got a cold as well - I've had worse colds I must admit but it has certainly curbed my energy a bit.

Suffice to say I am having a wonderful time here in northern Scotland.  My B and B is wonderful - I have a huge room with ensuite.  The owners are fantastic and they just can't do enough for their guests.  Irene even did my laundry for me when I asked about a launderette in the area and refused any money for it.  My jacket was so dirty it would have needed its own airline seat home.  Seriously!


This is where I am staying! 

Anyway here are the highlights of this week - I will go into more detail when I have time..honest!

Monday I went to Dunrobin Castle which is just north of Golspie.  I walked there and back via a coastal path.  The rooms are lovely but no photographing is allowed - boo!  The castle itself is so beautiful.  I visited back in 1994 and fell in love with it then.  The garden was more in bloom then (late May) but it is still lovely.  I want to add lots of photos but the wifi here is painfully slow and it would take all morning.  I will definitely be doing a blog post on this visit - the history of the castle and the wonderful falconry displays. 



Tuesday I visited Dornoch and Tain - walked the huge beach at Dornoch but didn't get a chance to get inside the cathedral (Madonna was married there for those who care) as there was a funeral on.  In Tain I visited The Pilgrimage and Clan Ross museums and got to see a couple of what are believed to be Viking graves.  I must say the employees there are chatty and enthusiastic.  I love the highlanders - so friendly.  And people who move up here are just as friendly - I've chatted to a lot of "incomers" as well. 


Wednesday I did a spontaneous trip up to Wick and then to John 'O Groats!  So now I've been to the top and bottom of Britain! 


Yesterday I took a bus to Brora where I followed part of the Village path and also did a couple of short walks -one was along the river on a path covered with daffodils.  Yes they are still out here.  In Helmsdale I visited the Timespan museum which had a great exhibition on the Highland Clearances which was the forcible removal of tenants off the land as there was a greater profit to be had from sheep than tenants rent.  Some tenants (crofters) moved to the coast to become fisherman whereas others (like my own family) were given one way tickets to Canada. There is a beautiful statue in Helmsdale of a family leaving called The Emigrants that is dedicated to those that were forced to flee as well as their descendants.  I just sat and looked at it and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. 



Today I plan to chill a bit, do a few errands and walk the Big Burn which will be a fairly long walk for me as it's on the other side of the village so a half hour walk (at my pace) and then an hour walk and then back.  So I will go in the early afternoon so I can grab my (early) supper on the way back. 

Tonight it's packing for my trip back to London tomorrow - nearly twelve hours on and off trains!  I plan to hit the ground running in London - she has a list and she's going to work her way through it come hell or high water!

I will definitely be telling you more about my highland adventure!







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more