Skip to main content

Daffodils, birds and spies.

Yesterday was a lazy day...in the morning I sat in Costa coffee in Golders Green (close to where I am staying in Hampstead Garden Suburb) catching up with my travel journal with a flat white coffee.  I then took the bus over to Hampstead to visit Waterstones book shop (a huge bookshop chain over here) as I love love love the bookshops over here.  I am such a book geek but no buying for me...yet....too early in the trip to start loading myself down.  I then came back here stopping to pick up a sandwich and some fruit.   And here I stayed - napping on and off.  I was tired!

Today I was back at it.  I decided to finish the walk I had started on Saturday but first I fueled myself up with another one of Christine's English breakfasts.  I got the little H2 bus that goes by the house and then transferred onto the number 82 staying on until almost the very end.  I started the walk where I had left off...well close enough....  I headed up Gloucester place and walked over to Constitution Hill through a subway...meaning a tunnel for pedestrians.  Don't ever call the London Underground train system the subway or you will be in trouble.  It is called the Underground or more often the Tube - named for the shape of the tunnels.  Anyway here are some of the murals to be found underneath.  I don't recall having been here before but then again I probably have and forgotten! (60 plus forgetfulness)






Wellington Arch


Duke of Wellington statue


More daffodils!

I then walked beside Green Park and past Buckingham Palace where the tourists were jammed up against the rails waiting for the Changing of the Guard.  I've only seen the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace once which was my first trip over.  I managed to be in the front row but I remember being shoved right into the railings by the crowd behind me more than the actual ceremony itself.  Being a little prairie chicken on her first trip abroad I was terrified. Back then I didn't have as much padding as I do now!!! 


I then plunked myself down on a bench in St James's Park - my favourite place in London.  I love to sit and watch the world go by.  The variety of birds there are amazing...everything from blue herons to black coots to the gangly pelicans.  (no pelicans today)



Goodies for the gang - there was a squirrel involved at one point.   Why does this guy remind me of Roy Cropper in "Coronation Street"? 



 

I've been coming to this park for over forty years now and this is the first time ever I've seen police officers patrolling...first I saw a police car driving down the path below then two sets of officers on horseback who greeted each other as they passed.  I guess with the Easter holiday approaching and loads of tourist and residents out and about the terror alert is sky high. 



I just can't get enough of this park...you will be seeing more of it trust me. 

The Horse guards had done their thing at Whitehall (I prefer this changing of the guard over the one at Buckingham Palace) and were heading off...I wasn't about to chase after them but I did catch the pooper scooper that followed them...I felt like saying "go into St James Park...you're needed there"!!


Trafalgar Square was heaving with people so I took myself over to St Martins in the Field church and went downstairs to their wonderful Cafe in the Crypt where I had some leek and potato soup.  The sun was in and out like a yoyo and I was feeling a bit chilled.   From there I walked down the Strand to Temple tube station where the walk  officially ended.  I then walked back to Covent Garden. 



This is a "ghost" underground station as in closed. I love the design.


My mecca in London - Stanford's travel bookshop.  Everything the traveler would ever need or want.  I think I actually drool when I am in there.  I got myself the Berlitz guide to Slovenia - I will be heading there on Thursday!  I highly recommend Berlitz guides as they are full of information and even better fit in your pocket.  And they are a lovely momento of your trip. 


Covent Garden tube station 
 


Covent Garden market...from the 1600's this was a fruit and vegetable market.  It moved out to East London in the 70's.  Now the Covent Garden area is full of theatres, shops, the Royal Opera House and depending on the day vendors sell antiques and crafts.  One of the fasteners on my North Face backpack broke so I took it in to the Covent Garden North Face store and they replaced it for me for free so that was great.   Somehow in the last couple of days I broke it and as it was the waist belt I need it to help balance the weight.

I had noticed a James Bond exhibit at the London film museum when I had gone past earlier so I headed back there.   A fellow in his 40's was coming out and I asked him if it was worth it.  He gave a huge smile and said "It was brilliant and I would have paid double but then I am a Bond fanatic".  He looked like a little boy with a new toy he was that excited. Sold! So I bought a ticket.  It was good but I sure wouldn't have paid double.  I have recently started a "project" of rewatching all the James Bond movies - in order - I am up to "Goldeneye".  So it was fun to see the vehicles used in some of the movies and I had to have my picture taken beside a vehicle and a mock up of Bond...of course!!!



I had a craving for some nice fat greasy English chips so tried to locate a fish and chip place I had been to in the area a few years back.  Well I came upon a shop that sold Portugese custard tarts and well.... as I stumble out with my belly full what do I see but the fish and chip shop I had wanted to visit right next door!  Ah well, tomorrow night I will be going to a theatre nearby so I will treat myself to fish and chips there.  I then went to Marks & Spencers and got myself a sandwich.   I only eat a proper meal out every third day or so.  The cost is so high here and I do enjoy the sandwiches and salads from Marks & Spencers so trust me I am not depriving myself!.  Once I am back at Claudia's at the end of the month and have access to a kitchen  I will once again be buying my ready meals there as well...when you travel for over two months you can't afford to be eating out all the time.  Especially over here where it is so expensive. 

I then got the number 13 bus back to Golders Green.  The bus went through Piccadilly Circus, along Regent St and crowded Oxford St.  I never get tired of sitting on the top of a double decker bus in the front seat.  I have the luxury of time so I prefer the bus when it is convenient.

Another good day in London!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more