Skip to main content

A day by the Adriatic Sea

I had heard about the beautiful Venetian-Gothic town of Piran through my friend Pat.  Once I got to Ljubljana everyone I spoke to said I must go and see it.  Piran is named for the Greek word Pyr which means fire.  This was inspired by the fire that was lit on the top of the peninsula to guide galleys into the port at nearby Aegida. 

I journeyed here by bus which was a two and a half hour trip each way.  However the bus was comfortable, the ride smooth and the scenery outstanding.  Upon arrival my first port of call was a coffee shop (with a loo - yay!) right by the bus stop.  Now this was not your typical bus station coffee shop...I ordered my coffee and sat outside to enjoy the view...


After I had my caffeine fix I walked towards town and when I saw the scene below I think my words were something totally not cool like "holy shit batman"!  I mean...WOW!!!


I had been worried that being a Catholic country there might not have been many shops/restaurants open on Easter Sunday but boy was I wrong!  What a relief!  I was distracted by a passageway and then another and another...I am going to do a blog post about them in the future.  Here are a couple. 




What can I say..I was in absolute photographers heaven.   I finally came to a square where a fellow wanted to show me a church (not the popular one) by a river....where he slept.  Uh..no thanks. 

Out to the waterfront again....






 Well there had to be a dog at some point right?  Don't worry its owner was nearby...


I then wandered up to the 17th century baroque Church of St George.  Its bell tower is like a small version of the San Marco campanile in Venice.  Piran (Pirano) was under Venetian rule for over 500 years hence the fantastic buildings. 




I am trying to keep this blog in some kind of order as if I posted photos as I took them you would get majorly confused.  I aimlessly wandered all day back and forth between places photographing - as I mentioned it is a photographers paradise and I don't even know how many pictures I took but LOTS.  Rest assured this is not the last you will see of Piran! 

The walk up to the church had me feeling peckish as I had only had yogurt and a banana at breakfast which was six hours ago.  I managed to land the last spot at one of the seafood restaurants along the sea front although sadly my view was a motorcycle with the sea behind it.  Ah well, it was outside and I had a seat and that was the main thing.  Being right by the door I can't even begin to guess how many people were turned away.  At the bus station later a woman was saying that she and her husband could not get into any of the seafront restaurants as they were all packed so I am lucky I went early. 

I ordered breaded scampi which was pretty good. 




My table was the one by the door - my server is standing with her back to me. 

The main square was attractive as well - named Tartini Square after violinist Giuseppe Tartini whose statue is in the centre.    Walking across the square was hazardous to your health with all the kids on their scooters, bikes, roller blades - take your pick out of anything that moves fast and can take you out flat. (there were more than in the picture below trust me)  I made it over to the market without getting hit and bought myself a simple little pair of hand made earrings for 5 euros. 




After some more wandering it was time to bade farewell to beautiful Piran and board the 4:15 bus back to Ljubljana but not before treating myself to an Italian ice cream!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more