Skip to main content

Home Sweet Home

Yes it's home sweet home...for now...because we all know that's going to change and the restlessness will start....  In fact there are ideas rolling around in my head for the next "big one" and I am already seriously thinking about some weekend getaways.  My work schedule has changed and I will find out more on Wednesday when I return to work. (shudder....then I will really be back to reality...) 

While I did make wherever I slept my "home" it's good to be back at home base.  I could never be one of those long term travelers without a home...from a physical standpoint I love having my "stuff" around me...and emotionally, having friends nearby.  My suitcases are empty and just need to be put away until the next adventure.  I had six months of mail to go through and while I haven't looked at it all it's been sorted...let's just say there's lots of paper around my place. Because I was gone during the tax period my income tax needs to be done...ugh...it's hanging over my head and I know I need to get at that pretty darn quickly.  The lady who looked after my place did a wonderful job and I am so appreciative of that.   All the parcels I sent back are here as well as all the things I brought back...yes I really do have a problem with coasters...and fridge magnets...wow....I thought I bought a lot of gifts which I mailed out at the time but there was a lot for me, me, me  as well....

Most of the photos are now on my computer so the blog posts will be starting soon...it is so nice to see them on a bigger screen than my tablet.....yes I did a lot yesterday on top of washing all the clothes that accompanied on my trip and going out for pizza and caesar salad (at Houston's for those who know...yum!) with some friends last night I even got to the library to pick up a couple of books I had put on hold in London....I have a whole list of books I wrote on my iphone at Waterstones (oh Waterstones I do miss you.....and Daunts and Stanfords...oh don't get me started...) so have been putting them on hold at the library...yeah, I'm cheap....  Today it will be off to the farmers market to say hi to the vendors I know and pick up some of my favourite things.  Then a walk to a local grocery store to have one of their charity BBQ hot dogs (what can I say...I missed stuff like that) and buy some basics to get me through the week.  Needless to say I will be taking the bus back!  Hey I am even thinking of getting one of those wheeled carts that people put their groceries in...does that make me officially old?  Next weekend I have booked a rental car and will be dashing all over the city laying in supplies.  I gave away my perishables and anything that I knew would not last for six months before I left so I am pretty well starting from scratch.  It's exciting though!!! 

This summer will be a time of settling back in, reading books on my balcony and spending time with friends...in between working of course ....and doing blog posts and editing photos.....probably close to 12,000 I'd say....could be more or less but there are a lot!! Once autumn comes the urge to hit the road again even for a weekend will be overwhelming I know....


Anyway I am enjoying my last few days of this freedom I enjoy right now before I go back to being one of the working stiffs.....looks like I will be working more hours but it means more $$$ for travel right?  And the start of the nesting project?  What's the nesting project you ask?   Stay tuned! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more