Skip to main content

Getting back to my roots in Gloucestershire, England

Once upon a time at the turn of the 20th century, there was a boy named Christopher and a girl named Gussie who lived a few houses apart on Pearcroft Road in the village of Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, England. They literally grew up together and fell in love.....when Christopher (Gussie called him "Jack") moved to Canada for a new adventure Gussie followed him a couple of years later in 1913 and they got married.  Christopher and Gussie were my grandparents.  Sadly my grandpa died when I was just four years old and I don't remember him at all.  My grandmother however was in my life until I was 34 years old and we were very very close.  I could talk about everything with her.  We would have a meal together every week - through her I tried new food that wasn't served in our home such as lamb, veal, broccoli (how exotic!), cauliflower and her peach pies have not been equaled to this day..she was an excellent cook.  As the years went on I still fit in an evening meal with my grandma every week but more and more I helped and finally did most of the cooking even though we pretended that she did it.  I worked shifts for many years and sometimes I would drop in unannounced  late in the evening after my shift as she would still be up reading her beloved detective magazines (we both loved a good crime story!) and she would put on the kettle. Needless to say I grew up hearing about her life in England and loved the stories..of course as a teenager I patiently listening but would mentally roll my eyes and think to myself "here goes story number 29" as all teenagers do (lovely creatures that they are...)  Oh how I would love to hear her tell me some of those stories now....From the time I was a tot I wanted to go to England but didn't make it there until I was 22 (and my babysitting money as a teenager paid for the airfare) and fell in love with the place.  Sadly my grandma never got a chance to return to her beloved Cotswolds.  By the time I was working and earning a salary a trip there would have been too physically difficult for her (she was 85 then)...how I would have loved to have taken her back.  Although the Stonehouse she remembers and the way it was when I visited it in the 70's (let alone now) was so different it's probably better she remembered it as it was....

I've visited my grandparents' home village (now a town) a few times - one time in particular was very special as it was with my mother who was thrilled to see where her parents grew up.  The last time I was there was in 2002 and I was a blubbering mess - it was my grandma's birthday (October 3rd) and earlier that year I had lost my mother.  My aunt (her other daughter) had died two years previously so I thought about all three of them and was very emotional.  This time I was much calmer....so let's go off to the village of Stonehouse...now pretty well a suburb of the city of Stroud.  When my grandparents lived there it was a quiet village of course - now the high street (main street) has vehicles rushing through constantly on their way to Stroud which is three miles away or Gloucester which is seven miles up the road. 

I headed out on Tuesday May 19th for the day from Paddington station.  Very handy that the train stops at such a small place as Stonehouse...and every time I step on or off that platform I am always the only passenger who does! 



This nice new shelter hasn't been here in other years...as it turned out I didn't need it as I took the train back from Stroud...but more on why later...

I wandered down to the high street and things started to look familiar - I double checked I was heading in the right direction and I was...before long I was at Pearcroft Road...

House where grandpa grew up

The house where my grandma grew up made with the beautiful Cotswold stone

The front garden of what was known as "Egremont" now known as "Graystones".
As you can see the houses were beautiful - especially my grandma's home.....I walked around the town and had tea and cake in a little tea room.  While there are a couple of cute shops and cafes Stonehouse is not a tourist haven and bears no resemblance to the more famous towns in the Cotswolds.

Local church - did my grandparents attend that as children?  I will never know. (neither one was born there so no baptism records)

One of the three local pubs

War memorial

Local elementary school

Another pub

Never did quite figure out what this is

The high street
I then caught the bus from the point above into Stroud (a rather dismal city) and changed onto the bus to Nailsworth.  (there is only so much time one can spend in Stonehouse - not the most exciting place in the world!) This is a town my grandma used to talk about and I had never been there..on the bus to Nailsworth I chatted wit a woman who was meeting up with a walking group.  A year ago I'd have asked if I could join them but I knew I could not keep up now sad to say and I had very worn out trainers on my feet (that happens when you wear them pretty well daily for over five months) that would not be suitable for climbing hills or walking paths.   I wandered around there for a couple of hours...



The Quaker Meeting House in Nailsworth



There were many mills in Nailsworth - this one is now a fancy hotel
Nailsworth had a few more shops than Stonehouse so was worth a look around...I had planned to go to Painswick as well but ran out of time.   The heavens opened on the bus between Nailsworth and Stroud and I found myself wandering in the rain trying to find a place to eat.  I made do with a meal at a Nicholson pub chain - so unmemorable that I can't honestly say what I had! 

Then I caught the train back to London full of lovely memories of the wonderful woman who was my grandma. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more