Skip to main content

Another ramble around Reykjavik

I'm calling it another ramble as I have another blog post titled that from October of 2013 if my memory serves me correctly.  Anyway here I am in Iceland once again...slowly making my way back home...

I am staying at another airbnb place - my host (Henry) is a pretty cool guy.  Originally from China he has lived in Taiwan, London and now Iceland.  I have a large bedroom in his flat which is a three minute walk from the main shopping district here.  I still miss staying at Michael's near the harbour but he was booked up - I had to walk past his apartment building again to see if Rosa, his Icelandic sheep dog was sitting in the window...alas not! 

I set off in search of coffee ...so stopped at the Laundromat cafe and had one before starting my exploration...

First thing was to head to the harbour and inquire about puffin tours - there was one leaving at 10 and this was 9:45 so I was fortunate.  Off we steamed into the harbour and over to an island where the guide said there was probably 1000 of them.  There will be up to 5000 when all of them are there - they have just started coming in from the open sea.  Due to not having a great zoom lens (and none at all on the DSLR) on my point and shoot the photos aren't great...but it was wonderful to see the little birds....cute, cute, cute. 




Reyjkavik skyline

It was pretty cloudy but the forecast called for rain this afternoon...which didn't happen...the sun came out instead!!! 
 
From there I visited the Aurora centre which was okay....and then the Saga museum which was the history of Iceland up to about 1600....lots of Viking stuff so of course I loved that.  I even got to dress up as one - well kind of a cross between a man and a woman because I wore a dress type thing but I just  had to wear the helmet and have the sword.  I won't be posting or sharing those pictures as the outfit I wore makes me look about 100 pounds heavier than I am!   Anyway I will just say  Iceland's history is pretty darn bloody and leave it at that.  The Viking beast within must have been tamed as now they don't even have any military. (which is another reason I love this place so much)
 
I then wandered over to the City Hall where I had never been before and walked through to the Tjornin Pond....last time I saw it it was covered in ice...
 


 
 
 I was feeling a bit peckish by then....meringue cake filled the bill...oh my...
 
 
 
After I had this sweet delight needless to say I had to walk again...so off I set down the main shopping road Laugavegur....and then to the huge church called Hallgrimskirkja....



 

Then it was time to walk along the sea front pass the famous Sun Voyager statue that I absolutely love...a sculpture of a Viking ship....




 

Back to the main street and up and down window shopping but not really buying much...the prices, the prices.....

After a pasta dinner (first night Nepalese food and the next Italian...I am not going ethnic on this trip am I?). it was time to head back to Henry's....here's a view of the street I am on...


 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more