Skip to main content

Good Evening from the Emerald Isle

Yes I made it and as I am typing this I look to my left out of the window and see this...


As you can see it was a lovely day today so it was. 

My airbnb place is pretty good and a view of the sea doesn't offend me. 

First I have to tell you about yesterday though.  I made a lucky escape out of London as they are having power outages in the Clapham Junction/Victoria area which is the line I took into central London from Streatham Common..  Some commuters were stuck for hours on the train.  Ugh.  I made it in yesterday and got on the Megabus at 4:30.  Luckily I had food with me as we did not get off that bus until we pulled into Holyhead ferry dock at midnight.  Yep.  There was a toilet on board which was downstairs.  Megabus is a double decker however you only sit on the top...from what I could see anyway.  I had a bit of excitement as on the way back from my second trip to the loo I fell.  There is one place when you come up the stairs and step onto the floor that there is no place to hang onto.  The driver moved into another lane unexpectedly right at that moment and down I went.  Luckily my pride was hurt more than my body but I'm sure it didn't do my knees any good because of course I landed on them,.  I had another issue going on as well which I won't share on here as too much information - it has only been shared with a couple of close friends....and probably anyone else who wants to know once I've had a couple of glasses of wine. :). Let's just say it was not a good trip and I was almost beating myself on the side of the head saying "Laurie why didn't you spend the money and fly"?  Anyway the ferry crossing was fine and I was impressed with the Stena Lines...the boat was beautiful with all the mod cons.  Being the middle of the night I couldn't see anything - ah well it's over now and never to be repeated.  I can say I've crossed the Irish sea on a ferry. We arrived a few minutes late due to a head wind.  I got the bus to Connelly station and finally figured out the right train to get out here.  Another good reason not to travel all night - I'm getting too old to do that.  I was pretty clueless I will say and leave it at that.  I'm sure a certain train guard at Connelly station is still shaking his head. 

Ah well I got here and found my place just fine..I am staying on the south coast of Dublin and loving it.  Today was glorious - I guess the weather will change tomorrow and not for the better.  I had a big breakfast this morning and walked around then back here for a nap.  Then out again to visit the Joyce Tower (where James Joyce spent about six days until his room mates got so pissed off with him he left) - it is a Martello tower but was renamed the Joyce tower because of those few days.  Give me strength.  It is now a museum...I hate to plead ignorance but I have never read any of his books unless I was forced to in high school and have blanked it out. (I despised school and all my teachers...you see I hate being told what to do and that's what school basically is all about). The only one I remember reading is "To Kill a Mockingbird" which I love love love)

Anyway here are some pictures from my walk this afternoon...

This path is across the street from me

But first let's say goodbye to Colleen the dog...ha ha...that's my sister's name....first dog I've met named Colleen, she has arthritic knees too...the dog that is.  We bonded. 









 
 As you can see a it is a very beautiful area.  Blogger is acting up again but the second picture above you can see the "Joyce" tower,

Tomorrow I plan to go into central Dublin and do a bit of sightseeing.  On Monday I am taking a tour down to Wicklow and Glendalough but that is it.  The other tours are just too darn long - ten and eleven hours long.  There is lots to do here in Dublin - my airbnb host Sheila has been telling me of all the things I can do besides the normal tourist things of course  Tonight I could have gone to a local pub to hear traditional music but I am too darn tired.  Another night. I plan to take it slow and easy.  If the weather holds and my knees as well there are some great hikes in this area I can do.  I keep stopping and looking out my window to admire the view and watch the people walking.   I did my share today and now it's time for bed; my eyes are watering I am so tired.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more