Skip to main content

Four months down, two to go!

Yes I am two thirds done on this marvellous adventure. Where has the time gone? 

After four months I am a bit travel weary.  this just happened yesterday,,,..Vienna is not getting the love from me that I am sure it deserves.  I don't want to be home...I am not home sick...home sick for London perhaps but just tired and kind of fed up.  It will pass.  It doesn't help that while out at the market this afternoon I decided to withdraw some cash and my debit card was rejected...twice at different ATM's.  It did this to me in Turkey as well but only once and not at two different banks.  Maybe I will be setting up a "fund me" website if I can't get my cash out...ha ha...just kidding....(I think)   Update: I did manage to get money out of the third ATM today.  Whew!!  And I am now back to my usual self - I just needed one day to "chill out".  Yay!!! 

The 15 day tour of Turkey was amazing with a super tour leader and great travel companions but very tiring as well...I think that is most of my problem right now. I am tired.  For abut 30 seconds I had a flash image of me sitting on my sofa with my feet on my coffee table, a cup of milky tea (made in my tea pot which is how I always make it....a tea bag in a mug....no bloody way....a rarity these days even in England unless you go out for proper tea) by my side watching Corrie...I then banished that thought as pretty soon I will be doing just that and wishing to hell I was back on the road.  So I am riding it out for now....it's all good. 

So how many beds have I slept in?  Too many to keep track!  Honestly...the one in York I was at when I wrote my last update, one in London, god knows how many in Turkey and now the pension in Vienna.  Ten?  I'm too lazy to work it out folks.  Lots!!! 

Best meal?  I can't even pick one....it would be in Turkey for sure but it could be the wonderful home cooked meal prepared for us in Cappadocia...bean soup, a leek strudel or whatever it was..it was delicious or Turkish ravioli or the Turkish pizza....I'll be doing a blog post on the wonderful food I had in Turkey...man oh man it was good....

Worst experience:  nothing really - can I hopefully say after disasters in December and January it has gone pretty smoothly since then.  Fingers crossed it continues but life happens. 

Best experience:  the tour of Turkey and the great people I traveled with.  And the balloon ride! 

Most unusual experience:   okay I threw that one in because I have to mention my Turkish bath..MUCH better than the experience I had in Jordan which I've never blogged about and only talk about it when I've had a glass of wine or two (yes, it was that bad) ....anyway this experience was much better and I will write about it soon but no pictures!  Hell, we couldn't even talk!!  (right Hilary?)

So places I've covered since March 10th...let's see when I wrote that one I was still in beautiful York, two days later I headed down to London to stay at Claudia's airbnb in Streatham. (south London)  A great experience as Claudia and I became great friends - in fact I am going back there for six nights when I go back to London on the 23rd.  We had movie nights, she made home made pizza one night (she is Italian) and I picked up takeaway Chinese one evening.  We yakked and giggled like the girlfriends I miss so much back home - I needed that.  Then I flew to Istanbul two days prior to the tour and explored on my own before setting off on a 15 day adventure with Intrepid, a small group adventure company.  Only seven of us plus our tour leader so it was absolutely perfect. Our group got along so well and it was sad to part company with them.  I'm now in Vienna.  On Sunday I will get to meet my long time pen friend Lisa so am excited about that. 

What's next?  Well on Monday I head to Germany to spend a couple of days with my friend Claudia in Heiligenstadt in northern Bavaria.  (where I will have a "digital detox" - she does not have internet and does not want it..so no blog posts for about ten days...just sayin.....) The two of us will then head to Prague for five nights - another new place to discover!  Then back to Germany for two nights before flying back to London.  Six nights in London before taking an overnight bus/ferry to Dublin where I will be for five nights and then up to Belfast.  From there who knows...at the moment I have a booking in northern Scotland but I am thinking of canceling and just going back to London.  I have so much I want to do there and after the exhaustion and travel weariness (the first I've felt on this four month adventure) I have felt the past 48 hours I think I need to uncomplicate my life a bit.  I plan to take many day trips out of London - be ready to hear about Hever Castle, Leeds Castle, Winchester Cathedral....more jaunts along the Thames path and there could be a few concerts thrown in as well....life will not be boring!!!  London never is...my time in London has only strengthened the love I feel for that place and I can't imagine what it will feel like to leave. There will be tears.  Oh let's not talk about that.....London will be a part of my life until I am physically unable to go anymore...oh let's not talk about that either!!! 

One more catch up from the road and the one after that will be from home...sniff sniff...I can't even express how wonderful this journey has been.  I have met so many wonderful people along the way and it has just been incredible.  I am so glad I made this happen. 

In the meantime lots more adventures to come..and don't forget when I get home I will still be blogging and going into more detail about places....I will have more time and hopefully the words will flow better...I feel like my writing isn't what it should be. 

Live your dreams!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more