Skip to main content

Whooping it up in Lethbridge

Well made it in one piece to Lethbridge....and not too tired.  I got a white Ford Fiesta with Siruis radio.  I had a blast singing along to the oldies the whole way here.  It is a good little car to drive - seems Enterprise is going through their ford phase lately.  I don't care.  I am not a car person so as long as it's got four wheels and works I am fine with it. 

I stopped at Maple Creek for lunch.  A family of twelve was being served so the rest of us had to wait forever for our meal - I had a denver sandwich.  It was really good though.  Then off I went in the rain...it was beautiful leaving Regina.  The canola fields under the blue sky were breathtaking.  I stopped at Chaplin to visit the interpretive centre and learn more about the "salt" lake.  I always thought it was snow when I was a kid!!  Anyway it was one of those rains where it couldn't make up it's mind what it wanted to do.....on and off, on and off - but beats heavy rain.   I gassed up at Medicine Hat but didn't stop to do a walk in the rain needless to say - I will be there for two nights next week so that's fine.  I stopped at Bow Island to use the loo in their little tourist centre had a cute friendly old guy in it.  I also met this guy...


Pinto McBean!!!  I guess the area must be famous for pinto beans
 On to Lethbridge where I checked into the Days Inn.  It is within walking distance of downtown, is the start point for the walk I wanted to do and I can walk down into the coulees.  Also fairly close to the church and reception hall.  Should I say win, win, win, win and win. 

I headed off for a walk down into the coulees - on the phone to my cousin at the same time.   I didn't go far as I didn't have water with me nor mosquito spray - it was just something to stretch my legs. However I did run into these characters...

They were taking part in a reinactment at Fort Whoop Up the next day. 

 I then walked over to the mall as I had forgotten my comb.  I bought one at Shoppers Drug Mart and I accidentally hit the scanner which was on (she was away price checking something) and I screwed up the system.  What can I say, I have a talent.  I couldn't see any place in the mall that appealed to me to eat at - same old, same old.  So I went to the Penny Cafe where I had half  sandwich and a delicious bowl of veggie soup.  I then headed back to the room and relaxed.

This morning I had a bagel, egg and banana at the complimentary breakfast at my hotel, put on my walking boots and backpack and off I went down into the coulees.  The park trails were a mess in places and the 10km walk had been cancelled.  I learned more about coal mining in the area in a little kiosk and enjoyed the walk,  I then went to Fort Whoop Up which is in the park and it was fantastic.  Well worth the 7 dollar admission fee.  A great 30 minute film followed by displays and then to the fort.  So interesting.  I met the official greeter - a goat named Mary Frances.  She was sitting demurely on a bench.





The one and only Mary Frances


Horse shoes in the blacksmith store.

In the tipi

I wish I would have had time to go on a stagecoach ride!

Reinactment - are any of my horsey friends in this picture.  All horses look the same to me!
  I wandered through the rooms.  These were a bunch of scalliwags - selling booze to the Indians and totally out of control.  I guess you could call it the original party town.  It is very tragic how the native Indians were treated by the European settlers.  There was a party of "soldiers" on horseback - one which I had seen the day before. So neat to see.  I went into a teepee and the Indian sang a lullaby to the children with the kids playing their "maracas".  It was a great visit - an hour and a half flew by and I could have spent longer.  It was small in comparison to Fort Edmonton or Fort William but very well done.  I will add photos when I get home...unless I can get a faster wifi connection.  Don't know if it's that or my netbook but it won't let me upload photos. 

I went to a shop/bakery called the Wooden Shoe and got a sandwich with English crisps.  I resisted temptation as there was LOTS I could have bought from all over...Holland, Germany, UK, etc. 

Off to the wedding next! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more