Skip to main content

Bison and eagles

Well I haven't blogged in a couple of days as it's been hectic and my netbook is not behaving itself at all....anyway I have been having an absolutely wonderful time.

The wedding was lovely and Becky the bride was absolutely beautiful.  We danced to the oldies and all had a pretty good time.  The next morning I drove to the tourist centre and did a little bit of a walk but not far as had sandals on.  I did get a closer view of the railway bridge. I then drove to  Henderson Lake and sat and enjoyed the sunshine..I was feeling a bit too..ahem...fragile to walk.  I then went over to my cousin's place and she had prepared a wonderful brunch - hash brown casserole, an egg casserole, sausages, bacon, muffins, etc.  And momosas!!  We had a good visit and Becky and Jon opened their gifts.  I then went to the Galt museum which was interesting.  I had been given a half price voucher at Fort Whoop Up so for three dollars the price was right.  I love history so I enjoyed it and this was the history of Lethbridge.

Stunning view from behind the Galt museum

World's largest cowboy boot?

Weather vanes!



 From there I drove over to the hall and helped Joanne and Jerrold "undecorated" the hall.  I undid a lot of sashes off of chairs!!!  I was glad to help.  Then Joanne invited me over for a steak BBQ with potatoes and salad which was delish.  And homemade chocolate ice cream for dessert.  Honestly that girl is something else.  A credit to her fabulous mom - my beloved Auntie Marge.  They are off on a holiday tomorrow and I am so glad she is getting away and having a break.

This morning after checking out of the Days Inn I headed west to Smashed Head In Buffalo Jump which was so good....I enjoyed it thoroughly.  It is a place where the Indians drove the bison (correct term)  over a cliff to their deaths.  Sounds gruesome I know but these animals provided food, clothing, tools, etc.  They lived off the buffalo and then the white man came along and hunted the bison to near extinction for it's hide.  This site was fabulous with so much information.  There were also a couple of hiking trails.  I didn't finish the lower one but did go as far as the kill site.  There had been a bear sighting last month - well last month was only five days ago.  There were warnings all over the place.  Luckily lots of people out!  I'd highly recommend this place - so glad I got to see it.



This is the actual jump where the Buffalo went over.







I then hopped back into the Fiesta and off I headed east and stopped at the Alberta Birds of Prey centre - it was a last minute decision and so glad I went.  The highlight?  Being able to pet a Golden Eagle named Liberty and have my picture taken with her.  She was found in a ditch by a woman who brought her in to the centre (Liberty was riding in the backseat like a passenger).  The poor thing had been shot with pellets and is permanently blind.  She loves to be petted and is very affectionate.  Her handler said I could put my nose up to hers..I was little hesitant over that one.  I may not have the most attractive face in town but I would like to keep it!!!  We also saw a Bald Eagle (by the name of Lincoln!)  flying and then the kids got to spray him down which he loved.  I got a bit (a bit?) miffed as there were some gorgeous white ducks and kids were chasing them - as in very aggressively.  I got really bent out of shape esp. as their idiotic parents were taking pictures and thought it was cute.  Chasing a bird so that it is running and slipping on rocks to get into the water in it's haste to get away is not cute.  So I walked around muttering to myself about stupid children and their even stupider parents.





The geese before the mayhem started.


Lincoln, the bald eagle

Lincoln looks very pissed off but he actually enjoys having his showers and can't get enough.



Getting close and personal with Liberty - her trainer kept saying "don't lean back". 

Back in the car with another stop at Bow Island for a potty stop at the tourist centre (which sounds rather grand - more like a trailer) and a Saskatoon Berry ice cream cone.  (yum!)  I stopped the car along the way and got some awesome prairie shots which I will post on here when I get home. 

Into Medicine Hat where I proceeded to get a bit misplaced.  I went to the tourist centre where I got a map (!!!) and other info and the girl was quite impressed I was staying two nights here.  I drove over to the world's larges tipi.   I had a delicious dinner at the Cheesecake cafĂ©;  grilled veggie sandwich, sweet potato fries and a Caesar salad. 

Then to my bed and breakfast which looks like it will suit me just fine.  It is a family home and quite comfortable.  

Tomorrow...I plan to walk my socks off!!! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more