Skip to main content

Sore feet that took me where I wanted to go


Iwoke up with sore feet from the concert - as per usual.  I had already decided two 5 km walks would be enough.  Under normal circumstances I probably would have tried for a 10 k and a 5 k but between the concert the night before and ongoing foot problems I decided to play it safe.

I started off the day by taking the bus down Granville St. and had coffee and a big honkin' cinnamon bun at a coffee shop whose name escapes me now but one I must visit again. I do love coffee shops.  It was funny as they were playing Christmas music which I thought was early for November 26th.  I mentioned to the barista that it's going to be a long month with the music on already and she rolled her eyes and said "you have no idea"!!!  Then I walked over to Tilleys' where I was meeting Connie to do a couple of walks.  After signing in for the walk we then walked over to the Running Room and signed in for another walk.  Then we set off for the Shaughnessy area.  What a wonderful area.  This is a new walk and very enjoyable.  Just as we were starting off a lady asked us where we were as she could see us holding the maps.  Turns out she worked at the University Women's Club so offered to let us see it as we were walking past.  First we toured the grounds which were lovely and then we went inside the building which was beautiful!!!

The garden

I can visualize myself with a cup of tea and a book sitting by the fire!

staircase

The exterior of the University Women's club
We then carried on walking through the lovely (huge) houses in the Shaughnessy area - beautiful classic homes. A very pleasant walk.

One of the many beautiful homes.

I just couldn't resist!!!  This was at the end of the walk.

This walk had been 5 km and then we set off for the next 5 km walk which would take us to Granville Island...and lunch!!!  But first we saw this lovely sculpture of Emily Carr.






The walk to Granville Island was incredibly boring until we got to the waterfront and that was quite lovely..I will just let the pictures describe it. 




We walked along the  path with this view beside us into the Granville Island market.  We stopped at Tony's fish and chips for lunch and we both had the lunch special which was a small bowl of clam chowder, one piece of fish and chips.  And Connie absolutely insisted on buying us each a glass of wine - how could I say no?  I was living in fear Iwas going to have a "dry" weekend but luckily my fears were unfounded!!!

Here is lunch:


Not the best fish and chips I've had but still delicious!

We then walked around the food market and luckily I was still full from lunch!!!  I drooled over the fresh pasta counter but thought no I can't bring it home forgetting I had a fridge in my room.  Duh...oh well.  I do love markets and this was a good one.  We looked in a few shops - well I must confess the first shop we looked into I made a split second decision to buy a Swatch.  It is designed with brightly coloured stripes and is so cute.  I love it.  It makes me smile just looking at it so how could I resist - that and the glass of wine melted my usual indecisiveness when it comes to spending a fair chunk of change.  Although I must say Swatches aren't much more money than they were when I started buying them back in the 80's.   We then walked along a path on the island and what do I see but this...

I swear I saw this crew when I was on Granville Island last year - I mean how many people have six afghans!!! Yikes!!



We then headed back and at Granville Bridge Connie and I said our goodbyes.  I headed back to Tilleys' where I bought a few travel goodies including a plastic packing cube which I can't seem to find.  (shakes head...)  I took the bus to Mountain Equipment Co-op and was able to return some pants I had ordered on line. I looked at different travel supplies - like I've said before sports stores get me excited.  I phoned Verni and we arranged to meet at the Cambie metro station.  We then went to the Mongolie Grill for supper which was good.   We then walked across the Cambie Bridge - wasn't sure how my feet wouldlike it but they were fine and I was so glad we walked as it was beautiful with the lights and Verni showed me where the Olympic athletes village was amongst other things.  I was so lucky to have my two of my very own personal Vancouver tour guides!!!  Thanks Verni and Connie!!!

Back to the hotel for a well deserved rest after a wonderful day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more