Skip to main content

Weekend in St Louis - day two

I forgot to mention that the breakfast buffet at the Best Western Airport Plaza was pretty good with scrambled eggs, sausages, biscuits, bagels, toast, yogurt, juice, pastries, etc. and set us up past lunch time anyway.   This morning after breakfast we once again got the free shuttle (though we gave him a tip) to the metrolink station.  This time our destination was downtown St. Louis and the Arch!  We had to wait in line for a little while to get through security and I chuckled to myself remembering how I was pretty well the only one visiting in February 08.  Of course this was right after a snow/ice storm!!!   We asked for the package of trip to the top of the Arch/Riverboat cruise which was on special for $20 - well we got it for $17.  No complaints!!!  Seniors rate?   I'll take it!!!  We were able to get into the line for the 11:30 elevator so off we went. 630 feet to the top - it's the tallest monument in the U.S.  The trams were small and very claustrophobic.  Last time I was in one by myself which was even freakier.  Anyway we made it up in one piece and here is what we saw..

This was the viewing area of the arch.

Downtown St Louis

View towards the Mississippi and on the other side Illinois



Another view

Busch Stadium

After we took another tram down off we went to explore the museum in the visitors centre.  It was a quick look as we had a boat to catch but that was okay for me anyway as I had spent a long while in here in 08.
We then got our boat, the Becky Thacher for a one hour cruise on the Mississippi.  I have always wanted to take a paddlewheel steamer on the Mississippi so another thing ticked off the bucket list. (although definitely will do it when I go New Orleans again someday)  What a lovely day it was.  I wore capris and a short sleeve t-shirt and was warm even on the water.  Lovely!!! 

The boat landing with the Arch.

View from the Mighty Mississippi

Getting ready to dock.

Our boat is on the right. 

When we got off the boat we wandered along the waterfront trying to find the Lewis and Clark statue - we had seen it from the water and I had also visited it in 08...finally we found it.  Some kids were climbing all over it so we kindly asked them if they could move for a few minutes and not only did they do that but one of them kindly put our little stuffed critters in Seaman's mouth for a photo op.  I'm sure he thought we were a couple of crazy old ladies but hey better to be crazy than boring!

Lewis and Clark and their dog Seaman.

Seaman, don't eat Monty!!! 
We walked around Lacredes Landing looking at possible dinner places and picked one out - me boring Pat with saying "I think I ate here" and "I walked along here".  I stayed at the Econo Lodge in the area in 08 and used to walk through Lacrede Landing to get the metro train... We then took the metrolink to Illinois just because it was there.  BORING.   The train went through some dodgy areas and all the stops were obviously just places to park your car and take the train with not much sign of life.   So we went back to Lacredes Landing which is the first settlement of St Louis complete with cobbestones.   I treated Pat to a birthday dinner so we had St Louis style ribs which weren't the best I've had but were okay - the highlight was the spicy mac and cheese side dish and yes sweet potato fries.  Yes I had those as my side dishes because I was on holidays...a real carbo load but it was good.  Drinks were on order as well. 

Then back on the metro to the airport where we got picked up by the hotel again.  The reason we stayed at the airport?  Much more reasonable rates!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more