Skip to main content

Walking frenzy in Vancouver

Well home eleven days and off on another adventure again.  Just as I like it!  Actually the morning after I arrived home from St Louis I woke up feeling like razor blades were going crazy in my throat.  Not good.  Luckily I had a day at home to relax and struggled off to work for the remaining three days of that week.  I spent the weekend relaxing instead of doing the fun stuff I had planned.  It was all worth it though as I felt pretty good for my weekend in Vancouver....my energy level was a bit down but I felt okay. 

I had to work on Friday so took an evening flight out.  I had planned to take the bus to work and then walk over to the airport as it's just across the (busy) road from the airport.  However Mother Nature had other plans and I ended up bumming a ride across the highway from someone at work.  The flights were good and I arrived into Vancouver on time.  I took the wonderful Skytrain from the airport to the Vancouver City Centre stop and walked five blocks to the Y hotel. I honestly can't recommend this place enough - very clean and modern and reasonable.  I had cheaped out and went for the shared bath down the hall but only ever encountered another person in there twice the whole weekend. (and caused a bit of excitement one time as the person hadn't put the latch on so it indicated "vacant" - I unlocked the door to much screeching!!)  Next time (as in previous visits) I would opt for the bathroom between rooms that you only share with one other person.  But I was feeling a bit 'guilty' about this trip so opted for the cheap room!

Saturday dawned and I walked down to White Spot for some breakfast.  I had the bacon and egg sandwich with these red smashed potatoes - hard to describe but they were good....check it out..

I called Verni from White Spot and we met up at the Running Room about 10 a.m.  Off we went for a 5 km walk in Stanley Park and the seawall.  Normally I do the 10km seawall walk but I wanted to baby my feet a bit and I had five walks to do that weekend to finish up a walking program.  (I am a walking geek amongst my other sins)   Here are some of the sights along the way...

Thunderbird totem pole

Totem poles - they have a much nicer setting now with a pond
 so the "rif raf' can't get in and do any damage

Seawall - as you can see it was wet from the day before but the sun soon came out.

Lumberman's Arch

Connie and Verni by replica of Asian ship

Me and the "lady looking for her glasses".
 After the walk we stopped at JJ Beans and had a coffee then signed in for the downtown 5 km walk and off we went.  We had a late lunch at The Old Spaghetti Factory in GasTown (original settlement of Vancouver).  I had tortellini that came with bread, soup and ice cream for dessert.  (burp!)   Here are some photos along this walk...

Canada Place



In remembrance..


Statue of Gassy Jack
 We then carried on through downtown to a camera shop so I could have my Nikon looked at.  It was locking up and I was forced to use my point and shoot for the photos above.  The fellow reset the camera and I left hoping for the best.  Stopped off at the Pacific Centre mall where I made a quick trip to Bath and Body Works and fled in horror.  Too many people in that mall.  I did see some pretty Xmas tree displays though..







I decided to walk on a bridge to get a picture of a Paul McCartney sign and heard music playing.  I then realized it was Paul himself and it was a rehearsal. Screech!  It was a bit muffled but you could still hear the words if you knew what they were.   I started getting cold so decided to carry on to the movie theatre - I had wanted to see "Lincoln" and it was playing at the International Village cinema called "Tinsel Town" which was just a ten minute walk.  I was able to see it for free with my Scene card and it was fairly enjoyable.  A bit different than what I expected but of course now being an Abe groupie I had to see it!  I walked back to the hotel and Paul was still playing!!!  So I strolled over to a nearby coffee shop and got a latte to keep me warm and a pastry (supper) and sat on a bench outside BC Place and enjoyed an informal concert of "Don't Let the Sun Catch you Crying" (that's not his!), "C Moon" "Midnight Special", and others.  When the music finally stopped I crossed the street back to the hotel.  What a very special experience!!!  A very nice way to end the day. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more