Skip to main content

Settling in

Thursday:  A pretty quiet day today.  Terry and I took Casper for a walk around the block but the rain came in so no more walks for Casper.  We went grocery shopping and I picked what I wanted for the week fully intending to pay and Terry bought it so that was sweet.  Afterwards we picked up Gloria and went to Pertillo's for Italian beef sandwiches which were really good.  Back here to watch the first Harry Potter movie The Sorcerer's Stone - I have decided to be Potterized for the week as Terry has all the movies.  Not a fan but want to see what the fuss is all about.  She has lots of movies so I won't be bored that's for sure. 

Spaghetti and meatballs, salad and garlic bread for supper with left over birthday cake.  Yikes - all this food and no walking.  I had better get out there.  Although tomorrow is supposed to be a horific day with ice pellets no less.  Better weather at the weekend and early next week so I think I am going to start my outings on Sunday.

Casper seems to enjoy my company although not as much as last night. :) 

Okay this didn't go last night on my netbook which is really acting up on me or just could be Terry's wifi.  So using Terry's computer right now and probably will from now on.  I just went for a driving lesson - ha ha.  I am driving Terry's car home tomorrow from the metro station - about a 20 minute drive but a simple route.  (Thank goodness) Anyway wanted to get "the feel" of the car plus practice putting it into the garage.  She backs in which terrified the heck out of me as could see me taking everything out in there including a few innocent garbage bins in the lane but we found out I can drive it in which suits me.  I had to have two goes at it but did it.   I am not a keen driver and being carfree now (after 36 years of car ownership) I don't drive as much.  I guess the one plus for me is I am used to driving different cars as I rent a fair amount.  It will be a relief to get that sucker back in the garage and carry on with my life.  They have to be at the metro station by 6 a.m. so I will be up early and have to do all this before my morning coffee but at least I can say I drove in Chicago right?  I can use her car anytime but I doubt that I will.  I VERY VERY doubt that I will!!!  She has given me her transit passes to use so bopping around won't cost me a penny.  Gotta love that!!!  I've just been told to AVOID THE GREEN LINE.  (metro line)

This morning I met Dru their next door neighbour who is a real sweetie and is going to let Casper out for me on the days I go downtown.  I took Casper for a walk this morning and after I've played on the computer a bit we will go out for another one.

So many unique  Hallowe'en decorations in this area so have to get out and get some shots.  I hope to do a blog on that alone. Tomorrow I am planning to stay here and 'bond' with Casper as his mommy will be gone and he will be sad.  So we will do a couple of nice walkies and hang out.   Sunday I turn into a tourist and hope to go to Oak Park (home to a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture) and do a 10km walk there but will see what the weather is like. 

It is cool here - no rain so far but very cloudy and looks like it could pour any minute.  Yesterday was pretty well non stop rain.  Gloria is going to pick us up later to go for stuffed pizza and I am sure it will be an early night after that.  Terry is busy packing 'as we speak'.

I have been relaxing and getting into vacation mode - I have a whole week to explore at my leisure.  This is the quiet part of my trip and the rest will be nonstop so am just enjoying visiting with Terry, having a warm doggie on my lap, watching movies, reading, etc.  I am staying in the Portage Park area of Chicago which is west of downtown.  (well go east and you would be in the lake!!!) I've been pretty stressed at work so it's nice to chill out and relax.  With different scenery and a doggie to walk!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more