Skip to main content

Beautiful day by the lake



What a fab day!  After breakfast I took Casper for a walk and then took off for downtown.  Just missed my bus so took the opportunity to get a bottle of water while waiting for the next one.  Once I got to Jefferson Park station luckily I didn't have to wait long for the subway to take me downtown.  As I was walking to the hostel to start the walk I saw a Garrett's popcorn store so popped in to buy some Chicago blend - caramel popcorn and cheese popcorn together in a bag.  Delish!  I had it last year and loved it.  I signed in for the 11 km Lake Front walk then headed off.  As I was crossing Michigan Avenue I kept seeing all these people with the coolest medals. (monster heads!)  Turns out there was a "monster dash" today.   It ws a 5, 7, 10 k and a half marathon.  I'd have loved to have done the 5 k anyway.  Oh well.   Anyway I walked over to the Field museum and Planetarium and started my walk north along Lake Michigan.  What a beautiful day!  Sunshine and in the mid 60's.  The views were amazing - Chicago really does have a beautiful skyline.  It blow me away every time I am here. 

Anyway I carried on walking - stopping every once in a while to dig into my bag of popcorn. :)  It was funny as I saw a girl taking a picture of the skyline with a stuffed mouse in the picture.  I remembered I had Monty the Greyhound with me and pulled him out and said to the girl here's mine!  Well she had to have Monty in the picture with her mouse.  Ha, ha.  Glad to know there are other nut cases around like me. 

 





I cannot believe how beautiful the weather was for the 21st of October - it was unseasonably warm according to the weather news here.  I was down to short sleeves and wishing I had worn my capri pants. (yes I brought a pair along!) The walk carries on by the Chicago Yacht club and on to Navy Pier.  All by gorgeous Lake Michigan.  Navy Pier is where I ended the walk as I knew I wanted to look around and explore. Poor Casper could only wait so long!!!  (as it is he lasted nearly 7 hours)  There was a petting zoo for the Hallowe'en festival so I had to stop and look at the animals of course.  I walked to the end of the pier and then on the way back I decided to go on the ferris wheel.  Being as it wasn't crowded I got to have a cart all to myself which was great.  The view was amazing!!!  I knew this was a good day to get be by the lake so I am so glad I did this.  Showers are called for the rest of the week. Before I left I had a loaded Chicago hot dog...wow. 

I finally located a subway station after asking a few people and transferred to the blue line and then had quite a long wait to get the bus back here.  Casper was very very happy to see me!!  We went for a 25 minute walk when I got home which he enjoyed immensely. 

A quiet evening coming up watching the third Harry Potter movie and cuddling Mr. Casper. 

I plan to do the rest of the walk another day and combine it with exploring the Gold Coast area as well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more