Skip to main content

What a day!







Living it up at L'Hermitage in Quebec City

Quebec City Legislative Building

St Louis Gate - I stayed in the Old City within the gates.

Clip clopping past my hotel.
Well this morning I decided to just sleep until I woke up and get the bus then.  Awake at 5:45 as usual.  Sigh!!!  Anyway after a shower I decided to go and look for breakfast.  I originally had thought of the market again but decided I needed something a bit more substantial.  At 6:30 I wasn't holding much hope but I saw two that were open so opted for the second one I saw called the Green Spot.  I chuckled to myself as the Green Spot at home is my favourite coffee shop however this was your typical greasy spoon.  I ordered a feta and veggie omelette which was very good.  Back to the dorm to grab my stuff and off I went to the metro station.  Okay this is embarassing - obviously I needed more coffee.  First of all I had to buy a ticket as my weekend pass was over for obvious reasons.  Well it was differnet than a pass and as I was fumbling and figuring out where to put it it flew out of my hand and landed on the other side of the gate...luckily there was no one around and the gal at the ticket office buzzed me in.  But wait the best is yet to come...being as I had luggage and did not feel like doing escalators or stairs I opted for the elevator.  Had to use two different ones - first one fine and the second one oh a red button behind plastic interesting and without thinking I pulled it up and pushed it and all of a sudden it starts ringing.  Oh shit....it was the emergency button  when they answered I yelled sorry sorry but of course they were yelling at me in French.  I quickly located the correct button, got in and luckily a train was waiting.  Bet they followed me on the security camera.  Cringe.  I have no clue why I did that..honestly.  Rather scary actually - shades of dementia kicking in?

The bus to Quebec City was absolutely packed...three hours and fifteen minutes without a stop.  I could barely walk when I got up - my knees no likee.  Got a taxi to my hotel and am glad I did as I'd still be trying to find it.  I had to check into the hotel opposite as only ten rooms in here and the check in is at the Acadia hotel.  My room was the only one ready - boy was I lucky.  I stashed my stuff and changed, reorganized and off I went to find the start point for the 10 km walk.  I walked and walked and walked - the road I walked on turned out to be the last part of the walk so that worked for me.  The gal at the college was so friendly and helpful.  This was a special walk for me - my last walk in a capital in Canada.  I've walked in Quebec City before but for some insane reason did not do the proper capital walk.  However that trip to Quebec City in 2005 was for a walking conference just a few weeks after I had lost my beloved doggie and I was still in a state.  As I walk around now things are coming back but honestly that weekend was mostly a blur.

The walk took me  through the Plains of Abraham, along the river on the Governor Generals dedicated pathway and through areas of Quebec City I hadn't been so really enjoyed it. I was glad to see the end of it though which was half a block from my hotel.  Back here to freshen up and change to catch the early bird special at Aux Anciens Canadiens.  What a deal - for 18.95 I got a glass of wine, pea soup, tourtiere (pork pie) with green beans, mashed potatoes, chutney, mashed squash and Maple Syrup (or Sugar) pie for dessert.  I was there in 05 with some walking friends and had the exact same thing.  There are other options but I wanted something typically French Canadian.  
Maple Syrup or also what's known as Sugar pie - oh yes!
Tourtiere, mashed potaotes, mashed squash, relish.

   This was my celebration supper for achieving all my provincial & territorial capitals in Canada.  I headed for my hotel but then thought "I should check with the main desk and see if I can print my boarding passes" so I kept on the other side of the street.   I then realized I was following a familiar figure and yelled "OH MY GOD". 
Surprise!!!  Erin and Auntie Laurie
The person turned and there she was - my one and only niece and her boyfriend!!  What are the chances?  She had been in Montreal over the weekend with Mutek - an electronic music festival but due to her commitments we were unable to hook up. Neither of us had a clue the other would be in Quebec City.  What a wonderful surprise!  She lives in Toronto so we don't see each other too often.   I walked around with them for about 20 minutes chatting and we went up on the city wall for a view.  They needed to plug their car meter and then eat and were heading off again as they are on a three week holiday to Labrador, Newfoundland and the rest of the Maritimes.  They went off to have a quick meal and hit the road - I was so stuffed I could not even think of sitting and having a coffee with them. (walking was painful!)  So it was a quick hi and bye but so much fun. 

I then came back and finally printed my boarding passes at the front desk!!!

I had planned to do a 5 km walk tomorrow but I think I will just have the breakfast offered here and walk around the area taking photographs and exploring.  I will have to start heading for the airport about 2 or so.  I have to take a taxi which really pains me  - no airport shuttles here.  The public bus only goes in the morning and comes back in the evening for the workers. 

My hotel is lovely and the bed looks wonderful -  next bed will be my own!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more