Skip to main content

Back in the frozen north

Whoa baby it's cold outside! So if I close my eyes and click my heels three times can I go back? Ha ha. I wish! The flight back was pretty good considering. The chicken and rice was much better on the way back....my seat mate went 7 hours without using the loo. I was impressed and said "I want your bladder". Although slightly on the weird side as instead of saying excuse me I need to get out she just smiled at me and I said "do you need to get out to use the toilet" and she said yes. So not sure if she was shy or what as she could talk. (and I don't mean that in an ignorant way) And I kept thinking when she turned to look at me and I smiled back did she mean let me out I want to use the toilet? Oh well not the strangest seat mate I've had and certainly I will have worse I am sure. It was good to fly through Calgary and only have that one hour flight although it was late leaving due to no ground crew. Then my backback was so fat it would not fit in the overhead bin nor under my seat due to the smaller aircraft (I was tired and made a nasty crack about now I know why I prefer Westjet as on their aircrafts it would fit) So I had to sky check it and fretted the whole time as it had my computer, camera, memory cards etc. I got it no problem and I was on the side they were loading so watched it like a hawk and no drops. I just hope the extreme cold did not damage anything. I was by the emergency exit and it was cold the whole flight...brrrr.......

On one hand sad to leave London but on the other...well I had been on the road for a month and for some insane reason was ready to come home. I've been away much longer than that...am I getting old? I think Eddie had a lot to do with it. Seeing me take Eddie down the stairs at Simon's yesterday was a picture...but I did it.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Wizard of Oz. The little dog (a Westie) who played Toto stole the show. Very enjoyable - in fact so much so that at the intermission I bought the CD of the cast recording. And that's a first for me to buy anything at a musical...that my demented mind can remember anyway....I would definitely see it again.

I got the taxi to the airport - it felt decadent but due to no traffic on a Sunday morning I got there in just over half an hour so had a lot of time to snoop around the shops in the airport. I had waited until the airport to treat myself to a glossy travel magazine (Wanderlust) that cost the earth here but can you believe they didn't have them. (I see them all the time at Heathrow) Oh well I survived.

Now it's home and countdown until the next trip...16 more sleeps. I will put pictures up and work on my blog a bit more as well.

Oh and this is officially Blue Monday - the most depressing day of the year. I shall spend it doing laundry, reading my Christmas mail, catching up with friends and viewing my pictures on the big screen. No wandering outside for me today....I will happily spend the day indoors. Not blue for me at all! Back to real life tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more