Skip to main content

Chocolate galore


It's been a busy day. Didn't have the big breakfast this morning as knew I'd be 'grazing' all day long - and I did!!!

By the way I am in the internet cafe with a normal computer - the wi fi at the B & B is just too undependable - Simon just changed service providers so is looking into it. I love this internet cafe anyway - it's nice and warm and clean and new and can get whatever I want to eat. (not that I've ever done that but nice to know the option is there) I hung out here two years ago...but hopefully can use my netbook as it's more convenient. However this is much more relaxing as I don't have to worry about the Internet crashing - trust me yesterday's post was much longer and more descriptive but it went down on me and had to retype everything.

Anyway took the tube to Tower Hill and started walking from there across Tower Bridge. (Today was a dull day with a bit of blue sky at one point but by 4 p.m. it was nearly pitch black outside!) I walked along the Thames Path and stopped at Borough Market - I love that place. It is a food market that is on Thursday to Saturday and is by London Bridge. I got a brownie - it is THE BEST BROWNIE I HAVE EVER TASTED - awesome! I had one last time so finally found the stand - also got a portugese tart. Half the brownie is history and the other half will be too when I get back to my room and brew up a cup of tea. I also got a bit of some wonderful cheese that should be just fine by my window which is a fairly cold area. I will definitely go back before I go back home...they had some awesome spices I'd love to get but depends on what I buy in Nepal...

I carried on along the South bank of the Thames for about an hour and came to the German market but it was absolutely packed. It was all right but not something I'd search out next time - I've been to a REAL one and there is no comparison. I finally found the chocolate festival. Luckily I had resisted other temptations so was able to have a belgian milk chocolate and banana crepe - oh my....thank goodness I had some wet wipes with me as I think I was wearing as much chocolate on my face as I got inside my gob. Oh yummy!!! And yes Dena, I took a photo. People must think I am a whack job as I've taken a picture of everything I've eaten...even the "to die for" brownie.

On I walked, across the river from the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben...as far as Vauxhall Bridge then over and back on the other side of the Thames. The area by Westminster is a mess thanks to those yobs. Don't get me wrong, I am all for the students protesting - that rate increase is ridiculous but the violence was crazy. I took the tube and was going to stop on Oxford St. - did get off the tube, saw the mob and got back on going the other way and back here. Just too tired to handle the crowds. One thing I DON'T like about London...all the damn tourists!!! :)

Back here to Golders Green and just had a mushroom and cheese Jacket (baked) potato with salad in a "mom and pop" type place just down the road from here. Best baked potato I've had in my life I must say....was just in the mood for something like that.

I am bummed out that I am not up to doing the Hampstead Pub walk tonight but my feet are not in good shape so I think a quiet evening in is in order. I hope there is something decent on TV tonight - I should work on my trip journal anyway. (haven't touched it since Regina aiport) There are things I don't share on here!!! :)

Tomorrow night is the Messiah at the Royal Albert Hall but before that...who knows...but it won't be a 10km walk. I think I need a break from those!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more